On August 12, 1964, Martin Cohen, a young mechanical engineer, photographer and Latin music aficionado, founded Latin Percussion. Martin believed in soliciting feedback for his percussion instruments from musicians at NYC nightclubs, establishing a tradition that is still practiced at LP — the needs of performing musicians are placed ahead of everything else. Proudly, LP has created hundreds of the finest percussion instruments, which can be heard on the world's most famous stages and recordings — in every genre. We’d like to share some of LP's major innovations.
LP reintroduces the very first instrument that LP ever produced. In 1964, Martin Cohen built these bongos to the specifications of local musicians and LP was born.
- Mahogany wood shells
- Natural rawhide heads
- Traditional rims with chrome plated hardware
- Original, retro head graphics with commemorative badge
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP1964 - 6-3/4" and 8-1/4" bongos
Played by professional congueros the world over, these fiberglass drums were developed in 1978 with Carlos "Patato" Valdez, who required tall drums with a wide belly and small bottom that could project deep bass tones and great volume without sacrificing crisp, high sounds.
- 30" fiberglass shell with a steel ring embedded at the bearing edge for added strength and stability
- Natural rawhide head
- Comfort Curve® II Rims
- Reinforced LP Heart side plates with 5 ⁄16" diameter tuning lugs
- Patented LP ProCare Shell Protectors
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR PATATO CONGAS - Available in three sizes
LP proudly features the timbales inspired by the late, great Tito Puente. Available in a variety of shell materials and sizes, there is an LP Tito Puente Timbale that will give you the sound you’ve been searching for.
- Solid brass shells for warmer tones, Bronze shells for a superior cutting cascara sound, Stainless steel shells for bright, crisp and loud sound
- Traditional tuning
- Set includes a heavy duty, fully height-adjustable timbale stand with an anti-rattle sleeve and a die cast gear tilter
- Also includes cowbell bracket, timbale sticks and tuning wrench
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP TITO PUENTE TIMBALES - Available in 3 finishes and 3 sizes
The LP Vibra-Slap was the first of numerous patents granted to Latin Percussion. It has appeared in more recordings, soundtracks, and advertisements than any sound effect ever made. The Vibra-Slap was conceived as a durable replacement for the original delicate rattling horse jawbone.
- The sound is created when the ball end is struck against the palm of the hand
- Sound can be varied by simply rotating the sound chamber
- The wood version has warm, crisp tones while the metal version produces a metallic clatter with longer sustain
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP424D - Metal Chamber
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP208 - Standard Wood Chamber
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP209 - Deluxe Wood Chamber
Invented over 40 years ago by founder Martin Cohen, the LP Afuche/Casaba has become one of the most essential percussion instruments in history. Loops of steel bead chain wrapped around a specially textured, stainless steel cylinder that produce a multitude of scraping rhythmic patterns. The larger the size of the instrument, the louder the volume.
- Beads can be rotated around the textured steel or the instrument can be spun or shaken for varying sounds
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP234-BK - Mini, Plastic, Black
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP234A- Standard, Wood, 4-1/2" diameter
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP234B - Large, Wood, 5-1/4" diameter
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP234C - Deluxe, Wood, 5-1/4" diameter
The most widely recorded cowbell in history
- High pitched, bright sound with a moderate overtone
- Slightly rounded playing surface makes it easy to get a good sound every time
- LP forged eye-bolt assembly provides a sure grip to any 3/8" diameter rod
- Handcrafted in USA from premium steel
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP204A - 5" mountable, black
An original LP innovation, the Multi-Güiro is a guiro with two textures and is filled with LP shaker material, making it several instruments in one. One of the textured surfaces features large raised grooves similar to a Cuban güiro, while the other is a finer texture for a more course raspy sound.
- Removable fill cap allows the player to control the amount and type of fill inside for precise rhythmic and volume control
- LP333 Pro Scraper included
- Made in the USA
- MORE INFO FOR LP452 - 9" stainless steel
LP Jam Block is a great example of LP innovation. This patented design transformed fragile, wooden blocks into virtually indestructible modern staples for any drummer or percussionist.
- Crafted from Jenigor, LP’s exclusive plastic formulation
- Strength and durability to withstand even the hardest-hitting players
- Heavy duty mounting bracket, and LP eye-bolt assembly included
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP1207 - Medium Pitch, Red
Patented, based on the LP Rock Cowbell with a red Jenigor ridge
- Jenigor bar dampens sound and resists denting
- Higher in pitch than the LP Rock Classic Ridge Rider bell
- LP forged eye-bolt assembly provides a sure grip to any 3⁄8" diameter rod
- Handcrafted in USA from premium steel
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP008 - 8" mountable, black with red ridge
The LP Galaxy Congas have resonance, attack and warmth found in no other conga. They deliver commanding bass, rich mid-tones and crackling highs with attention getting projection. LP utilized master percussionist Giovanni Hildago’s input to create the exclusive Requinto, which has the broadest range of tone available in a single drum.
- 30" Premium North American Ash Wood, 3-ply shell, available in 4 sizes
- Natural rawhide head
- Natural deep gloss finish with gold tone hardware
- Extended Collar Comfort Curve® II Rims
- Premium gold tone Galaxy hardware, reinforced LP Heart side plates with 3/8" diameter tuning lugs with patented LP ProCare Shell Protectors
- Matching bongos & djembe available
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP804Z-AW - 9-3/4" Requinto
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP805Z-AW - 11" Quinto
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP806Z-AW - 11-3/4" Conga
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP807Z-AW - 12-1/2" Tumbadora
LP's unique, patented One-Shot Shaker has only one "live" striking area enabling you to lay forward/down strokes without shadow or ghost strokes.
- Constructed of durable, anodized metal
- Delicate sound quality ideal for studio recording
- Simplifies complex rhythm patterns
- Sold in pairs
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP442A
One of our most successful innovations, the patented LP Giovanni Compact Congas produce an amazing conga sound suitable for practice, playing live or in studio. They were designed with Giovanni Hidalgo and won the 2003 Musikmesse International Press Award for most innovative instrument, DRUM! Drummies and the Modern Drummer Reader’s Choice Awards.
- Aluminum alloy rims
- Evans Tri-Center Synthetic Head
- Drum key tunable
- Fits on basket-style snare stands or LP Compact Conga Mounting System
- Can be used anywhere a conga is played, perfect for use with a drum set, percussion set-up or on its own
- Matching bongo, backpack, mounting system and stands available
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP825 - 11" Quinto
- MORE INFO & VIDEO FOR LP826 -11-3/4" Conga
Download your copy of LP's 50th Anniversary Catalog — 100 pages filled with full-color photos and descriptions for our entire line.
We’re proud of our catalog of percussion instruments and we’d like to thank our customers, dealers, and artists for their continued support and dedication to our brand. We are very grateful because without their help, we would not be celebrating our 50th Anniversary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn75LYX7LMg Eddie Montalvo: LP's 50th Anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00fUyCL_1IQ Bobby Sanabria: LP's 50th Anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkz55l2UUpU Chembo Corniel: LP's 50th Anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Djr7RXfT40 Jorge Gonzalez: LP's 50th Anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Htfu3Usk8 Richie Gajate-Garcia: LP's 50th Anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7UkDwZIzKw Ron Powell: LP's 50th Anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpZ_ZiRqXL4 Daryl Muyungo Jackson: LP's 50th Anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgTDSXKrJrA Lenny Castro: LP's 50th Anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj9ZAAfO26Q Kevin Ricard: LP's 50th Anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx3m6qqJ-oE Karl Perazzo: LP's 50th Anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itc91WLxH6M Joey Deleon: LP's 50th Anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLul8PEdWhk Greg Garman: LP's 50th Anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnLnWFdwM9A Richard Danielson: LP's 50th Anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN-KAFZHVIc Arejay Hale: LP's 50th Anniversary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slv5nhn7CLA Roland Gajate-Garcia: LP's 50th Anniversary